School will be closed on January 4, 2018 due to inclement weather.
|Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy
11 Catherine Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211
(P) 718-388-7992 (F) 718-388-7543
November 22, 2017
It has been two months, and I am feeling more energized, enthused, and excited about all the amazingly fun and thrilling events that have been organized and concluded since the time that our school year began. We have been very busy making sure that school is not only academically driven but driven for each child’s development. Due to our strong partnership, our collaboration fuels the strength of the entire child. During this season of “thanks”, I am thankful for the collaboration of the entire community. Because without our collaboration, it would be difficult to ensure that we are strengthening the social, emotional, academic, spiritual, and physical development of each child.
I want to take this time to thank the Home Academy Association (HAA) for working tirelessly to ensure a successful event for the children. The Lunch-O-Ween Event was extremely successful, and that is due to your diligence, determination, and perseverance with ensuring that the children and parents who participated had a great time. The wonderment of this event was felt and so was your presence. Thank you for all that you do. In addition, for those parents who have not been able to attend a meeting, I want you to know that you are still welcome to participate. If you are interested, please contact the HAA officers at HAA@queenoftherosarybrooklyn.org.
Where there are great parents, there are great students. The students who attend our amazing Academy have accomplished many things in the past month. One major accomplishment was due to our Student Council. The students planned a very positive and fun experience for Spirit Week. Another major accomplishment is the number of certificates that our students in Grade K-8 have received since starting the Mathletics program. Our students have received 415 Bronze Certificates, 85 Silver Certificates, 16 Gold Certificates. At this time last year, our students received 68 Bronze Certificates and 1 Silver Certificate. This is a tremendous and significant increase from last year.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Kindergarten Open House: December 1 from 9:00-10:15AM.
- Report Card Distribution: December 7 from 12:30-7:30PM. Please make your appointments by calling the office.
- Home Academy Association Meeting: December 12 at 6PM.
- Breakfast with Santa: December 19 starting at approximately 8:15AM.
- Candy Cane Grams: Beginning November 27 through December 11, Candy Canes will be sold. On December 19, the Candy Cane Grams will be distributed.
- Christmas Show: This is a date change. The show will be held on Thursday, December 21 beginning at 6:00PM.
- Letters about Reading Plus: Students in Grades 2-8 will be receiving a letter about Reading Plus. Reading Plus is a program that adapts to the specific needs of each child. The program focuses on reading, vocabulary, and the speed at which each child reads. Its differentiating capabilities make it an innovative and very important tool. If we are to prepare each child for both the next grade and eventually high school, Reading Plus becomes imperative to ensuring that each child is reaching each individual scholar’s grade level. Therefore, an aim for each student is to use the program for a minimum of approximately 11 hours of reading per trimester. This amounts to using the program five days per week for ten weeks at 20 minutes per day.
- Discussion about the Results of the Satisfaction Surveys: January 11, 2017 from 7:30-10:00AM. There will be a meeting and breakfast for all participants. Please RSVP by calling the office or emailing me. Thank you to all the parents who completed the survey.
- Honor Awards Assembly: January 5, 2017 beginning at 10AM.
All of the great events that are organized for the school are posted on Facebook. At your earliest convenience, visit Facebook and LIKE our page. The location of our page is: Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy. Our page contains many great pictures and news about what is happening in the school. Please SHARE our Facebook with your friends, so that they know all about our wonderful Academy.
On behalf of the Board of Directors, faculty, and staff at Queen of the Rosary, I wish each of you and your entire family a Happy Thanksgiving.
James A. Daino
October 13, 2017
Time is truly passing quickly. As I think about the time that has passed, I am pleased to observe that the children, parents, and new and senior teachers, have transitioned nicely into this new academic year.
During this month, we have much to look forward to.
- We had our picture days, Blessing of the Animals, Anti-Bullying Day, and awards assembly for Grades K-8.
- The Chocolate Sale ends today. Thank you for your generosity.
- Our TerraNova Testing began on October 10 and will run through October 20.
- On October 20, students will wear pink to support Breast Cancer Awareness. All funds raised will go directly to Breast Cancer research.
- The Second Annual Benefit Dinner is Wednesday, October 18.
- Some of our Eighth Graders will be taking their SHSAT on October 21 or October 22. Good luck to our students.
- Decorated pumpkins should be brought to school from October 23 through October 27. Certificates and free snack vouchers will be given to the participants on Tuesday, October 31.
- The next HAA meeting is on Tuesday, October 24.
- Mid-Trimester Progress Reports will be distributed on Wednesday, October 25.
- The Second Annual Lunch-O-Ween event will be Saturday, October 28.
- Student Council has been very busy this month planning a Spirit Week from October 30-November 3.
- Registration for Nursery has begun for the 2018-2019 Academic Year. We have many interested new families. However, if you or someone you know is interested in our program, have the family contact me or come each Tuesday during Touring Tuesdays.
As you can see, October is and has been a very busy month. However, I am most proud of the donations that we were contributed by you, your families, friends, and the faculty for both Puerto Rico and Mexico. The devastation that took place was unbearable to those affected. Hopefully, the generous donations will help to alleviate some of the many pressures that the citizens are facing. Your unrelenting generosity shows the type of strong and vibrant community that we have. It is during times of strife and adversity where we band together to assist and help those in need. These times show that true strength of human character comes from the ability to unite behind a common good. Thank you for your generosity, and thank you parents for volunteering your time to ensuring that all donations were brought to the distribution site.
Speaking of our strong community, we have a very active and involved Home Academy Association (HAA) . Without our collaboration, efforts such as the donations collected may not be as successful. Therefore, I urge all parents to be active participants. Each meeting serves one major purpose. That purpose is to organize and execute school events for the children. In order to organize school events, we have our HAA officers: Javier Cortes, HAA President, Lisa Mancini, newly-elected HAA Vice-President, April Padilla, HAA Secretary, and Maria Benedetto, HAA Treasurer. These four HAA officers are here to help organize events and the volunteering of events. If you are interested in being more involved, please email the HAA at HAA@queenoftherosarybrooklyn.org.
As always, I hope that you and your family continue to enjoy the community that we continue building. I look forward to ensuring that our Academy continues to flourish towards a very successful future.
James A. Daino
The Second Annual Lunch-O-Ween is back!!! Flyers will be sent home on Tuesday, October 10; however, if you want to get a head start on ordering your tickets, please feel free to download the pdf from the email you received, print it out, complete the form, and send it to the office with payment. Like last year, this event is sure to be a crowd pleaser! See you there!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!lunchoweenflyer
Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy is thrilled to be hosting its Second Annual Benefit Dinner on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at Giando on the Water. This year’s honoree, Deacon Philip Franco, Ph.D. is a Williamsburg native who has dedicated years of his life to Catholic education, as well as to the Williamsburg community. Join us at Giando to support the school, to honor Deacon Franco, and to have a great evening. Visit qotrdinner.eventbrite.com for details.
September 12, 2017
On behalf of the faculty and staff at Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, I am excited to welcome you to the 2017-2018 school year! We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you in order to ensure our children can achieve their individual academic best. It is vital that in order for students of Queen of the Rosary to be successful in school, we must ensure that there is a strong support system that permeates from both the home and school. We know that this vibrant relationship will build a strong and unified bridge that will allow for our childrens success. We will do our very best by providing an academic environment that is enriching, challenging, and rewarding. We ask that you guide and support your childs academic endeavors and goals by ensuring that he/she:
- Completes all written assignments given by the educators
- Arrives to school daily and in a timely manner
- Reads each day in order to develop stronger literacy skills
- Informs you of any needed support in order to gain the skills to meet challenges
- Shares school experiences with you
- Knows that you expect them to work to the best of his/her abilities
Here is a list of some of the great things that will be happening this month at Queen of the Rosary:
- Implementation of Mathletics, Reading Plus, iProgress Monitor, 3-D Printing, and Fluent Citys Spanish program.
- Students from Grades 2-8 will be assessed by using Reading Plus this Friday, September 15, 2017. Their individual reading abilities will be discovered after analyzing the data from their performance on this assessment.
- Home Academy Association Meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 6PM.
- Our 3-D Printer is networked and ready for printing.
- Google Classroom and Mathletics training for students will be done on Tuesday, September 26, 2017.
- Our new Student Council will be chosen this month. The names of students from Grades 5-8 have been sent to the office and elections will be held.
- Our Home Academy Election for the Vice-Presidential Representative will be held on Tuesday, October 3rd, 2017. If you are interested in being nominated, please see me, so I can introduce you at the upcoming Home Academy Meeting.
Last year, Mathletics was an important tool used by the students in grades 3-8. Now, the entire school from K-8 will utilize Mathletics. Last year we had reached a total of 887 total certificates. The highlights of last year included: Ms. Aime was our Champion Teacher, three students were rated as the top students in our school, eighth grade and second grade were ranked second and sixth, respectively during the Mathletics Math Bowl as well as being the tope classes in their specific grade, and our school took the Platinum School Award for being the top school in our region within all of the Diocesan schools. All of this was accomplished in only one year, and in our first year using the program.
Thus, our two new programs are in the beginning stages of implementation: Reading Plus and Fluent City. I am looking forward to both seeing how our students reading scores improve over the course of the year as well as their Spanish language skills.
As always, I look forward to a productive and wonderful year. Our collaboration and partnership is stronger than ever and continues to fuel excitement throughout the entire school community.
|a. Please LIKE our Facebook page by visiting: Facebook.com/queenoftherosarycatholicacademy
b. Seats are available in our PreK for All Program. If you know anyone interested, refer them as soon as possible.
c. Future Principals Letters will be posted via the website and Facebook page and sent electronically.
James A. Daino
June 6, 2017
The end of the year is approaching, and I must say that this year has been extremely rewarding. Although my first year as an administrator is coming to a close, I am reminded of the quickness of time. With each passing minute, our students, your children, are getting older, and learning and developing more into their unique selves. Although time is quick, it is more important to note that time is precious. Each passing minute is an opportunity to ensure the success of our students’ entire selves (spiritual, intellectual, emotional, and physical). However, as a community, we recognize that our efforts would not be tangible or attainable without the collaborative spirit of the administration, faculty, staff, and parents. It is our strong community that lays the foundation for our success.
This month, we say, “Good luck! Congratulations! Farewell!” to our Eighth Graders. Although this is my first year, I was a teacher for 10 years, and the Eighth Grade was my homeroom. Therefore, I had the privilege of seeing ten Eighth Grade classes graduate, and had nothing but the best experiences with each of those classes. However, I must say that this year has been particularly special. To be welcomed graciously by our current graduating class, has made this an extremely memorable year for me. I wish all of the Eighth grade nothing but the best in all of your future endeavors. I will remember each one of you with pure fondness as you were the first graduating class of my administrative career. I know that the future is bold and vibrant. Just remember to continue working towards reaching your full potential. Even when you think you have reached your maximum potential continue raising the bar. Never settle for mediocrity for you are too great for the word, “ordinary.” Learning is continuous and should be contagious. Never stop learning, and never stop the desire to continue learning. Also, along the way, remember to take pride in yourself, take pride in your family, take pride in your heritage, and know that you can accomplish anything that you set out to do. I speak on behalf of the entire community when I say that we are proud of you.
The “Seasons of Love” Spring Show and Walk-A-Thon were huge successes. Thank you to all the parents who volunteered for the events and to Ms. Theresa Jampol, Ms. Nilsa Torres, and the Home Academy Association for organizing the Walk-A-Thon. At this time, I would to thank and congratulate the top 3 students who brought in the most sponsor money and who have won the prizes. The first, second, and third place students are as follows: Michael Padilla in Grade Kindergarten, Lorenzo Pennolino in Grade Three, and Gaetano Mancini in Grade Four. Congratulations to you! Parents, at your earliest convenience, please come to the office to retrieve the prizes.
Our school was awarded the Platinum School Award from the Mathletics Team. I am extremely proud of the accomplishments of the students. This was an award that was rewarded to my previous school. Because of the students’ hard work, the Platinum School Award has followed me to Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy. Students have been motivated by the program Mathletics, and their enthusiasm for this academic area has increased dramatically. Our students have received 758 Bronze Certificates, 117 Silver Certificates, and 7 Gold Certificates since the beginning of the year. Also, Congratulations! to our Top 3 Students: Domenika Garibaldi, Nicolas Torres, and Gaetano Mancini and our Champion Teacher, Ms. Pascale Aime for all your diligence while using the program this year.
Here are the results of the survey that you completed with regards to the After-School Mandarin Program through the China Institute:
- Are you interested in having your child participate in an After-School Mandarin Program?
61.90% said, Yes, I would be interested in having my child participate in an After-School Mandarin Program.
38.10% said, No, I would not be interested in having my child participate in an After-School Mandarin
- If you checked YES under number 1, please check any that applies to you.
37.50% said, I would be interested in one day per week for 1 hour and 30 minutes at $55.00 per session.
25.00% said, I would be interested in one day per week for 1 hour and 30 minutes but feel that $55.00 per?session is too costly.
18.75% said, I would be interested in one or two days per month for 1 hour and 30 minutes per session at
$55.00 per session.
12.50% said, I would be interested in one or two days per month for 1 hour and 30 minutes per session but feel?$55.00 per session is too costly even if my child does not participate once per week.
6.25% said, I would be interested in having my child participate more than one session per week.
- If you checked YES under number 1, please check any that applies to you.
26.92% said, I want my child(ren) to explore Chinese language and culture for now and will decide whether?he/she will study the language seriously in the future.
30.77% said, I want my child(ren) to start studying Mandarin Chinese at a young age and to be fluent in the?future.
42.31% said, Besides Mandarin Chinese language learning, I would welcome classes introducing Chinese culture?and art (e.g. calligraphy, brush painting, Taichi, etc.)
I will be addressing the results of the survey with The China Institute and will be speaking with the representative about the program. Thank you for completing the survey. Hopefully, this After-School program will be an option for next year. If the program is being offered, details will be distributed before the end of the year.
Visit Facebook and LIKE our page. The location of our page is:
Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy. Our page contains many great pictures and news about what is happening in the school. Please SHARE our Facebook with your friends, so that they know all about our wonderful Academy.
As always, your opinions are vital to the school community. Therefore, I hope that you know that even if you cannot attend the Home Academy Meetings that you are still a member of the community.
James A. Daino