November 22, 2017
It has been two months, and I am feeling more energized, enthused, and excited about all the amazingly fun and thrilling events that have been organized and concluded since the time that our school year began. We have been very busy making sure that school is not only academically driven but driven for each child’s development. Due to our strong partnership, our collaboration fuels the strength of the entire child. During this season of “thanks”, I am thankful for the collaboration of the entire community. Because without our collaboration, it would be difficult to ensure that we are strengthening the social, emotional, academic, spiritual, and physical development of each child.
I want to take this time to thank the Home Academy Association (HAA) for working tirelessly to ensure a successful event for the children. The Lunch-O-Ween Event was extremely successful, and that is due to your diligence, determination, and perseverance with ensuring that the children and parents who participated had a great time. The wonderment of this event was felt and so was your presence. Thank you for all that you do. In addition, for those parents who have not been able to attend a meeting, I want you to know that you are still welcome to participate. If you are interested, please contact the HAA officers at HAA@queenoftherosarybrooklyn.org.
Where there are great parents, there are great students. The students who attend our amazing Academy have accomplished many things in the past month. One major accomplishment was due to our Student Council. The students planned a very positive and fun experience for Spirit Week. Another major accomplishment is the number of certificates that our students in Grade K-8 have received since starting the Mathletics program. Our students have received 415 Bronze Certificates, 85 Silver Certificates, 16 Gold Certificates. At this time last year, our students received 68 Bronze Certificates and 1 Silver Certificate. This is a tremendous and significant increase from last year.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Kindergarten Open House: December 1 from 9:00-10:15AM.
- Report Card Distribution: December 7 from 12:30-7:30PM. Please make your appointments by calling the office.
- Home Academy Association Meeting: December 12 at 6PM.
- Breakfast with Santa: December 19 starting at approximately 8:15AM.
- Candy Cane Grams: Beginning November 27 through December 11, Candy Canes will be sold. On December 19, the Candy Cane Grams will be distributed.
- Christmas Show: This is a date change. The show will be held on Thursday, December 21 beginning at 6:00PM.
- Letters about Reading Plus: Students in Grades 2-8 will be receiving a letter about Reading Plus. Reading Plus is a program that adapts to the specific needs of each child. The program focuses on reading, vocabulary, and the speed at which each child reads. Its differentiating capabilities make it an innovative and very important tool. If we are to prepare each child for both the next grade and eventually high school, Reading Plus becomes imperative to ensuring that each child is reaching each individual scholar’s grade level. Therefore, an aim for each student is to use the program for a minimum of approximately 11 hours of reading per trimester. This amounts to using the program five days per week for ten weeks at 20 minutes per day.
- Discussion about the Results of the Satisfaction Surveys: January 11, 2017 from 7:30-10:00AM. There will be a meeting and breakfast for all participants. Please RSVP by calling the office or emailing me. Thank you to all the parents who completed the survey.
- Honor Awards Assembly: January 5, 2017 beginning at 10AM.
All of the great events that are organized for the school are posted on Facebook. At your earliest convenience, visit Facebook and LIKE our page. The location of our page is: Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy. Our page contains many great pictures and news about what is happening in the school. Please SHARE our Facebook with your friends, so that they know all about our wonderful Academy.
On behalf of the Board of Directors, faculty, and staff at Queen of the Rosary, I wish each of you and your entire family a Happy Thanksgiving.
James A. Daino