Issue #1: Principal’s Weekly Notes and Updates for the Week of September 10-14.
+ School has started for our PreK for All through Eighth Grade students. Students have eased nicely into their routines.
+ Our PreK-3 Nursery orientation was Thursday, September 6, where parents and students had a chance to meet with M. Marinelli, our PreK-3 Nursery teacher.
+ Students in our PreK-3 Nursery program begin this week on Monday, September 10. These students will have three half-days during their first week of school in order to help ease our three-year old students into their first week of school. We look forward to welcoming our PreK-3 Nursery students!
+ Our Parent-Teacher Orientation is on Tuesday, September 11, at 6:00pm. All parents should meet in the cafeteria with all the teachers. After meeting in the cafeteria, the teachers will go back to their classrooms giving the parents a chance to meet with their children’s teacher individually.
+ Students in Grades 5-8, in their individual homerooms, will choose two students to campaign for our Student Council during this upcoming week. Those students will then read their speeches to each class next week. After the speeches are read, students will choose the Student Council representatives who will represent the students throughout the school year. President will be chosen by Grade 8; Vice-President will be chosen by Grade 7; Secretary will be chosen by Grade 6; and Treasurer will be chosen by Grade 5.
+ On Monday (September 10) and Friday (September 14), our Scholar’s Program students will meet in order to begin Regents Prep work and start to develop their graduate written thesis on a topic of their choosing. If you are interested in the Scholars Program, please inquire about it. P. Aime and I are continuing to develop and implement new additions to the program.
+ Very soon the Williamsburg Movement and Arts Center and Chess Wizards will begin holding classes during After-School. Please inquire if you are interested by visiting our Facebook page at Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy.
+ On September 10, 11, and 19, we will be holding school tours.
+ Our new Writing Units are being distributed this week. Students in all grades: Nursery, PreK for All, and Kindergarten-Grade 8 will be working on specific writing projects that will be presented to their parents at the end of each trimester. Writing pieces this trimester are focusing on opinion and narrative writing. We are very excited to establish this new program, that the teachers and I created, to ensure differentiated instruction in order to meet each child’s needs as a writer. Let the writing, editing, and publishing begin!
+ Students in Grades 2-8 will take their Reading Plus Insight Assessments to determine each child’s individual grade level. This is to further our commitment to differentiated instruction and help foster a love of reading. Parents please contact your child’s teacher or I to discuss your child’s reading level and what needs to be done to ensure your child reaches the scholar’s grade level.
+ We continue our Mathletics program. As you know, last year we placed 1st (Grade 2), 2nd (Grade 8), 4th (Grade 4), and 5th(Grade 3) during the competition. Our Kindergarten, Grades 1- 5, and Grade 8 were the top in their age groups — surpassing over 900 participating classes and over 2,500 participating students. Our goal is to continue this enthusiasm for mathematics.
+ Our new Spanish teacher, R. Salcedo, will begin seeing students this week. QRCA’s goal for our Spanish program is to only converse and teach the students in Spanish in order to fully immerse the students in the Spanish language. We are also building a Spanish library to allow students to check-out books and be able to read in Spanish at their leisure.
James A. Daino
We are extremely excited to welcome all of our current and new families to the school.
We are so proud of the students. Top School in the Diocese of Brooklyn! Seven out of Nine of the Top Classes in the Diocese. Four out of Five Classes in the Top 5.
Out of over 2500 participating classes, here are the results:
The Top Classes Overall (1st through 5th place) and recipients of a “Mathletics Trophy and Pizza Party”:
- Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 2-A
- Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 8-A
- Queen of All Saints Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 7 (Ms. Augello)
- Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 4-A
- Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 3-A
The Top Classes (K-8): (All Classes will receive a “Digital Winner Certificate)
- Grade K — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom Kindergarten-A
- Grade 1 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 1-A
- Grade 2 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 2-A
- Grade 3 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 3-A
- Grade 4 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 4-A
- Grade 5 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 5-A
- Grade 6 — Queen of All Saints Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 6 (Ms. Loukaidou)
- Grade 7 — Queen of All Saints Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 7 (Ms. Augello)
- Grade 8 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 8-A
The Top 10 Schools:
- Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- Queen of All Saints Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- Holy Child Jesus Catholic Academy, Queens
- St. Bernard Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- St. Peter Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- St. Joan of Arc School, Queens
- Good Shepherd Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- Notre Dame Catholic Academy of Ridgewood, Queens
March 27, 2018
As third trimester progresses, I remind myself of the excitement that the Queen of the Rosary Community exudes. This excitement energizes me each day. With that said, there are many amazing things that are happening this trimester. Here are some of the many things that are happening:
- Registration is still underway. Please submit any registration forms as soon as possible. As always, please call the office if you have any questions about the registration process. If you are interested in filing for a scholarship, please visit futuresineducation.org as soon as possible- awards are given on a first-come-first-serve-basis.
- PreK for All Registration- The application process for our free UPK program will end on March 30, 2018. If you or someone you know needs to complete the application, please complete or have the parent complete the application. If you need any assistance with the application process, see me.
- New York State Testing: Grades 4, 6, and 8 will be taking the New York State English Language Arts Test on April 11 and 12; the New York State Mathematics Test on May 1 and 2; and Grades 4 and 8 will be taking the New York State Science Performance Test during the week of May 23 and the New York State Science Written Test on June 4. Although the school has materials, please ensure that your children have #2 pencils for the Scantron and written responses. If you have any questions about the testing procedures, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
- Honors Awards Assembly- The assembly will be held on Friday, April 13.
- Mathletics Math Bowl- The Annual Mathletics MathBowl will be held from April 15 at 2:00PM until April 22 at 1:59PM. Recall that last year that our eighth grade was the top eighth grade in the entire Diocese and came in second place, overall, while the second grade was the top second grade in the entire Diocese and came in sixth place, overall.
- Mathletics Accolades-Last year, we received a total of 887 certificates. So far this year, our students received a total of 1,265 certificates. These certificates break down into: 1022 Bronze, 200 Silver, and 43 Gold. Our goal was to reach 1,000; therefore, our new goal is to reach 2,000.
- Pizza Party for the Red Team-Congratulations to the Red Team for winning the Penny Challenge. The pizza party for the Red Team will be held next month. Details will be sent home.
- Saturday Morning Classes- I want to thank Ms. Pascale Aime and Ms. Lisa Scheer for holding Saturday morning review classes for math for Grades 4, 6, and 8.
- VIRTUS Training- Our teacher, Ms. Mary Gering, and parent, Mr. Javier Cortes, are VIRTUS Facilitator Trainers. They hosted their first VIRTUS training session on Saturday, March 24. Thank you for hosting the event!
- Walk-A-Thon- The Annual Walk-A-Thon will be on Thursday, May 17.
- Spring Show- The tentative date for the show will be on Tuesday, May 22.
- Grade 8 Dance- The end of the year dance for eighth graders will be on Friday, June 1.
- WMAAC Surveys- Thank you for submitting the surveys! The next page shows the results of the surveys in percentages of those who submitted the surveys. In late May/June, the organization will run a pilot one or two day class to show students the kinds of activities that they do with the children.
- New Art Mural- I want to thank Mr. Emet Sosna, our art teacher, Ms. Deirdre Slakman, our first grade teacher, and the students who designed and worked on our new Art Mural. During art classes since the end of the Mural Club during the first trimester, the students and Mr. Emet Sosna have been busy bringing the vision to life. An Art Show and Mural Reveal will take place in the future. Details will be distributed next month. The theme of this mural was about community and togetherness.
Visit Facebook and LIKE our page. The location of our page is: Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy. Our page contains many great pictures and news about what is happening in the school. Please SHARE our Facebook with your friends, so that they know all about our wonderful Academy.
As always, know that your opinions are vital to the school community. Therefore, I hope that you know that even if you cannot attend the Home Academy Meetings that you are still a member of the community. Check our calendar to find out about future HAA meetings. Also, if you want to be involved but cannot come to the meetings, contact HAA@queenoftherosarybrooklyn.org to inquire. Your continue support is important to all of us
On behalf of the entire school community, I want to wish all of you a wonderful Spring recess.
James A. Daino
|Dance Making (Modern Dance)||46.67%||10.00%||0.00%|
|Arts & Crafts||73.33%||10.00%||0.00%|
1st -5th Grade Survey Results
|Dancemaking (Modern Dance)||43.33%||13.33%||6.67%|
6th-8th Grade Survey Results
|Choreography (Modern Dance)||42.86%||7.14%||0.00%|
|HS Auditioning Training||28.57%||14.29%||7.14%|
School will be closed on January 4, 2018 due to inclement weather.