Santa is coming to visit us for breakfast at Queen of the Rosary!
November 20, 2018
During this season of thanks, I would like to begin by showing my gratitude for the many pillars of the school community. First, I am thankful for the faculty and staff who exhibit impeccable attendance and ensure that students are being challenged in an academically thrilling, student-centered environment. Their hard work ensures that the needs of the students are being met. Second, I am thankful for the parents for your support and dedication to your children’s academic, social-emotional, spiritual, and physical growth and development. Our partnership fosters your children’s education and enhances our school in all aspects, especially with our stellar State Test Scores. Although children should be measured well beyond an exam, these levels of growth would be unobtainable without your support. Lastly, I am thankful for the students that come to school each day with smiles upon their faces and are ready to meet the challenges of a rigorous academic environment. It is because of our students that I am truly able to enjoy my administrative journey.
There are many things that the students have accomplished that I wish to acknowledge:
- Reading Plus: There have been 87 grade level gains according to this program. Last year, students who used this program the most consistently passed their ELA State Exam 100% of the time. This adaptive program affords the students the opportunity to read at their individual grade level, which further aids in our dedication to the differentiation of instruction.
- Mathletics: Since the beginning of the year, students have earned 413 Bronze Certificates, 77 Silver Certificates, and 21 Gold Certificates. We are on pace to beat last year’s tally of almost 2,000 total certificates by the end of the school year. This program enables our students to enjoy the challenges of mathematics.
- Writing Units: Students in all grades are wrapping up their writing projects. Soon, you will have the opportunity to view the projects and hear presentations from your child’s class. Information about these presentations will be distributed soon.
Here are some Academy highlights and important dates:
- Too Good for Drugs Program: Our Grades 5-8 students are currently working directly with the Program for the Development of Human Potential (PDHP) to discuss topics that affect all children across all boroughs.
- Technology Coaching: Through Educate LLC, our teachers have access to a Technology Coach. Please speak with your child’s teacher to see what is being done.
- Math Coaching: Through our partnership with Fordham University, Grades K-3 are receiving math coaching. The coach works directly with the teacher and students to show them new, innovative ways to enjoy mathematics. Professional Development is important to the enhancement of our customized, student-centered curriculum. Our teachers exhibit their dedication by welcoming any training to enhance their classroom environment.
- Scholar’s Program: Students in the Scholar’s Program have begun developing their major thesis projects that will be presented prior to their Grade 8 Graduation. They are working through complex math problems; they are beginning new assignments involving complex vocabulary. Select students in Grades 6 and 7 will be offered admission into the program beginning in January of 2019. Those select students will receive their invitations after report card distribution. If you do not receive a letter and would like your child to be considered, please schedule an appointment with me, so we can see if your child meets the qualifications. If you have any questions about the qualifications, please refer to the Parent-Student Handbook. Grade 5 students will be offered admission for September of the 2019-2020 Academic Year. The letters of invitation will be distributed by May 2019.
- Kindergarten Open House: Tuesday, November 27, from 9AM-11:00AM, there will be an Open House for Kindergarten. All are welcome to join and tour our school.
- Candy Cane Grams: From November 26 through December 14, Candy Cane Grams will be sold. Flyers will be sent shortly.
- Coffee, Cake, Conversation Marketing Discussion: Tuesday, November 27, from 7:45AM-8:30AM, there will be a meeting to discuss the school’s marketing efforts.
- Marketing Committee Meeting: Wednesday, November 28, from 6PM-7:30PM, the committee will meet to discuss marketing efforts for those who prefer a meeting after school.
- HAA Meeting: Next HAA Meeting will be December 5 at 6AM. I will speak quickly about our school’s Crisis Management Plan and about our TerraNova Scores (if they are available).
- Report Card Distribution: Report Cards will be distributed on Thursday, December 6 from 12:30PM4:25PM and from 5:00PM-7:30PM. Please call to make an appointment. The last day to make an appointment is December 5 by 12:00PM. Please note that PreK will have their Report Distribution on Monday, December 10 as Ms. Fitzpatrick will not be available. The scheduled times for PreK will be from 2:30-4:30PM and 5:00-7:30PM.
- Breakfast with Santa: On Tuesday, December 11, from 9AM-11:00AM we will be having our Breakfast with Santa. As always, volunteers are welcomed!
- Honor Awards Assembly: Friday, December 14, students who received any awards thus far will be honored. These awards are but not limited to: Honor Roll; Student of the Month from September-November…etc. Parents will be invited to join us as students receive their awards. The ceremony will be held in Saint Nicholas Church at 2:15PM. Students will be dismissed directly from the Church after the ceremony. All are welcome to join us.
- Christmas Show: Students will showcase their excitement for the holiday on Thursday, December 20.
I also want to take this time to thank the Home Academy Association (HAA) for working tirelessly to ensure a successful Lunch-O-Ween Event for the children. It was a great success due to your diligence, determination, and perseverance with ensuring that the children, as well as the parents who participated had a great time. The holiday spirit was felt and so was your presence. Thank you again for all that you do. In addition, for those parents who have not been able to attend a meeting, I want you to know that you are still welcome to participate. If you are interested, please contact the HAA officers at HAA@queenoftherosarybrooklyn.org.
All of the information about all of our great events is posted on Facebook and/or our website. I greatly encourage you to visit Facebook and LIKE our page. www.Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy. Our page also contains many great pictures and news about what is happening in the school. Please SHARE our Facebook with your friends, so that they know all about our wonderful Academy.
On behalf of the Board of Directors, faculty, and staff at Queen of the Rosary, I wish each of you and your entire family a Happy Thanksgiving.
James A. Daino
Friday, November 30, 3018 from 6:30-8:30PM for All QRCA parents and their guests.
7th and 8th grade students are welcome to attend.
$25 per person.