We are extremely excited to welcome all of our current and new families to the school.
We are so proud of the students. Top School in the Diocese of Brooklyn! Seven out of Nine of the Top Classes in the Diocese. Four out of Five Classes in the Top 5.
Out of over 2500 participating classes, here are the results:
The Top Classes Overall (1st through 5th place) and recipients of a “Mathletics Trophy and Pizza Party”:
- Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 2-A
- Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 8-A
- Queen of All Saints Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 7 (Ms. Augello)
- Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 4-A
- Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 3-A
The Top Classes (K-8): (All Classes will receive a “Digital Winner Certificate)
- Grade K — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom Kindergarten-A
- Grade 1 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 1-A
- Grade 2 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 2-A
- Grade 3 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 3-A
- Grade 4 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 4-A
- Grade 5 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 5-A
- Grade 6 — Queen of All Saints Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 6 (Ms. Loukaidou)
- Grade 7 — Queen of All Saints Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 7 (Ms. Augello)
- Grade 8 — Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn — Homeroom 8-A
The Top 10 Schools:
- Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- Queen of All Saints Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- St. Frances Cabrini Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- Holy Child Jesus Catholic Academy, Queens
- St. Bernard Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- St. Peter Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- St. Joan of Arc School, Queens
- Good Shepherd Catholic Academy, Brooklyn
- Notre Dame Catholic Academy of Ridgewood, Queens
March 27, 2018
As third trimester progresses, I remind myself of the excitement that the Queen of the Rosary Community exudes. This excitement energizes me each day. With that said, there are many amazing things that are happening this trimester. Here are some of the many things that are happening:
- Registration is still underway. Please submit any registration forms as soon as possible. As always, please call the office if you have any questions about the registration process. If you are interested in filing for a scholarship, please visit futuresineducation.org as soon as possible- awards are given on a first-come-first-serve-basis.
- PreK for All Registration- The application process for our free UPK program will end on March 30, 2018. If you or someone you know needs to complete the application, please complete or have the parent complete the application. If you need any assistance with the application process, see me.
- New York State Testing: Grades 4, 6, and 8 will be taking the New York State English Language Arts Test on April 11 and 12; the New York State Mathematics Test on May 1 and 2; and Grades 4 and 8 will be taking the New York State Science Performance Test during the week of May 23 and the New York State Science Written Test on June 4. Although the school has materials, please ensure that your children have #2 pencils for the Scantron and written responses. If you have any questions about the testing procedures, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
- Honors Awards Assembly- The assembly will be held on Friday, April 13.
- Mathletics Math Bowl- The Annual Mathletics MathBowl will be held from April 15 at 2:00PM until April 22 at 1:59PM. Recall that last year that our eighth grade was the top eighth grade in the entire Diocese and came in second place, overall, while the second grade was the top second grade in the entire Diocese and came in sixth place, overall.
- Mathletics Accolades-Last year, we received a total of 887 certificates. So far this year, our students received a total of 1,265 certificates. These certificates break down into: 1022 Bronze, 200 Silver, and 43 Gold. Our goal was to reach 1,000; therefore, our new goal is to reach 2,000.
- Pizza Party for the Red Team-Congratulations to the Red Team for winning the Penny Challenge. The pizza party for the Red Team will be held next month. Details will be sent home.
- Saturday Morning Classes- I want to thank Ms. Pascale Aime and Ms. Lisa Scheer for holding Saturday morning review classes for math for Grades 4, 6, and 8.
- VIRTUS Training- Our teacher, Ms. Mary Gering, and parent, Mr. Javier Cortes, are VIRTUS Facilitator Trainers. They hosted their first VIRTUS training session on Saturday, March 24. Thank you for hosting the event!
- Walk-A-Thon- The Annual Walk-A-Thon will be on Thursday, May 17.
- Spring Show- The tentative date for the show will be on Tuesday, May 22.
- Grade 8 Dance- The end of the year dance for eighth graders will be on Friday, June 1.
- WMAAC Surveys- Thank you for submitting the surveys! The next page shows the results of the surveys in percentages of those who submitted the surveys. In late May/June, the organization will run a pilot one or two day class to show students the kinds of activities that they do with the children.
- New Art Mural- I want to thank Mr. Emet Sosna, our art teacher, Ms. Deirdre Slakman, our first grade teacher, and the students who designed and worked on our new Art Mural. During art classes since the end of the Mural Club during the first trimester, the students and Mr. Emet Sosna have been busy bringing the vision to life. An Art Show and Mural Reveal will take place in the future. Details will be distributed next month. The theme of this mural was about community and togetherness.
Visit Facebook and LIKE our page. The location of our page is: Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy. Our page contains many great pictures and news about what is happening in the school. Please SHARE our Facebook with your friends, so that they know all about our wonderful Academy.
As always, know that your opinions are vital to the school community. Therefore, I hope that you know that even if you cannot attend the Home Academy Meetings that you are still a member of the community. Check our calendar to find out about future HAA meetings. Also, if you want to be involved but cannot come to the meetings, contact HAA@queenoftherosarybrooklyn.org to inquire. Your continue support is important to all of us
On behalf of the entire school community, I want to wish all of you a wonderful Spring recess.
James A. Daino
|Dance Making (Modern Dance)||46.67%||10.00%||0.00%|
|Arts & Crafts||73.33%||10.00%||0.00%|
1st -5th Grade Survey Results
|Dancemaking (Modern Dance)||43.33%||13.33%||6.67%|
6th-8th Grade Survey Results
|Choreography (Modern Dance)||42.86%||7.14%||0.00%|
|HS Auditioning Training||28.57%||14.29%||7.14%|
School will be closed on January 4, 2018 due to inclement weather.
|Queen of the Rosary Catholic Academy
11 Catherine Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211
(P) 718-388-7992 (F) 718-388-7543
November 22, 2017
It has been two months, and I am feeling more energized, enthused, and excited about all the amazingly fun and thrilling events that have been organized and concluded since the time that our school year began. We have been very busy making sure that school is not only academically driven but driven for each child’s development. Due to our strong partnership, our collaboration fuels the strength of the entire child. During this season of “thanks”, I am thankful for the collaboration of the entire community. Because without our collaboration, it would be difficult to ensure that we are strengthening the social, emotional, academic, spiritual, and physical development of each child.
I want to take this time to thank the Home Academy Association (HAA) for working tirelessly to ensure a successful event for the children. The Lunch-O-Ween Event was extremely successful, and that is due to your diligence, determination, and perseverance with ensuring that the children and parents who participated had a great time. The wonderment of this event was felt and so was your presence. Thank you for all that you do. In addition, for those parents who have not been able to attend a meeting, I want you to know that you are still welcome to participate. If you are interested, please contact the HAA officers at HAA@queenoftherosarybrooklyn.org.
Where there are great parents, there are great students. The students who attend our amazing Academy have accomplished many things in the past month. One major accomplishment was due to our Student Council. The students planned a very positive and fun experience for Spirit Week. Another major accomplishment is the number of certificates that our students in Grade K-8 have received since starting the Mathletics program. Our students have received 415 Bronze Certificates, 85 Silver Certificates, 16 Gold Certificates. At this time last year, our students received 68 Bronze Certificates and 1 Silver Certificate. This is a tremendous and significant increase from last year.
Here are some upcoming events:
- Kindergarten Open House: December 1 from 9:00-10:15AM.
- Report Card Distribution: December 7 from 12:30-7:30PM. Please make your appointments by calling the office.
- Home Academy Association Meeting: December 12 at 6PM.
- Breakfast with Santa: December 19 starting at approximately 8:15AM.
- Candy Cane Grams: Beginning November 27 through December 11, Candy Canes will be sold. On December 19, the Candy Cane Grams will be distributed.
- Christmas Show: This is a date change. The show will be held on Thursday, December 21 beginning at 6:00PM.
- Letters about Reading Plus: Students in Grades 2-8 will be receiving a letter about Reading Plus. Reading Plus is a program that adapts to the specific needs of each child. The program focuses on reading, vocabulary, and the speed at which each child reads. Its differentiating capabilities make it an innovative and very important tool. If we are to prepare each child for both the next grade and eventually high school, Reading Plus becomes imperative to ensuring that each child is reaching each individual scholar’s grade level. Therefore, an aim for each student is to use the program for a minimum of approximately 11 hours of reading per trimester. This amounts to using the program five days per week for ten weeks at 20 minutes per day.
- Discussion about the Results of the Satisfaction Surveys: January 11, 2017 from 7:30-10:00AM. There will be a meeting and breakfast for all participants. Please RSVP by calling the office or emailing me. Thank you to all the parents who completed the survey.
- Honor Awards Assembly: January 5, 2017 beginning at 10AM.
All of the great events that are organized for the school are posted on Facebook. At your earliest convenience, visit Facebook and LIKE our page. The location of our page is: Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy. Our page contains many great pictures and news about what is happening in the school. Please SHARE our Facebook with your friends, so that they know all about our wonderful Academy.
On behalf of the Board of Directors, faculty, and staff at Queen of the Rosary, I wish each of you and your entire family a Happy Thanksgiving.
James A. Daino
October 13, 2017
Time is truly passing quickly. As I think about the time that has passed, I am pleased to observe that the children, parents, and new and senior teachers, have transitioned nicely into this new academic year.
During this month, we have much to look forward to.
- We had our picture days, Blessing of the Animals, Anti-Bullying Day, and awards assembly for Grades K-8.
- The Chocolate Sale ends today. Thank you for your generosity.
- Our TerraNova Testing began on October 10 and will run through October 20.
- On October 20, students will wear pink to support Breast Cancer Awareness. All funds raised will go directly to Breast Cancer research.
- The Second Annual Benefit Dinner is Wednesday, October 18.
- Some of our Eighth Graders will be taking their SHSAT on October 21 or October 22. Good luck to our students.
- Decorated pumpkins should be brought to school from October 23 through October 27. Certificates and free snack vouchers will be given to the participants on Tuesday, October 31.
- The next HAA meeting is on Tuesday, October 24.
- Mid-Trimester Progress Reports will be distributed on Wednesday, October 25.
- The Second Annual Lunch-O-Ween event will be Saturday, October 28.
- Student Council has been very busy this month planning a Spirit Week from October 30-November 3.
- Registration for Nursery has begun for the 2018-2019 Academic Year. We have many interested new families. However, if you or someone you know is interested in our program, have the family contact me or come each Tuesday during Touring Tuesdays.
As you can see, October is and has been a very busy month. However, I am most proud of the donations that we were contributed by you, your families, friends, and the faculty for both Puerto Rico and Mexico. The devastation that took place was unbearable to those affected. Hopefully, the generous donations will help to alleviate some of the many pressures that the citizens are facing. Your unrelenting generosity shows the type of strong and vibrant community that we have. It is during times of strife and adversity where we band together to assist and help those in need. These times show that true strength of human character comes from the ability to unite behind a common good. Thank you for your generosity, and thank you parents for volunteering your time to ensuring that all donations were brought to the distribution site.
Speaking of our strong community, we have a very active and involved Home Academy Association (HAA) . Without our collaboration, efforts such as the donations collected may not be as successful. Therefore, I urge all parents to be active participants. Each meeting serves one major purpose. That purpose is to organize and execute school events for the children. In order to organize school events, we have our HAA officers: Javier Cortes, HAA President, Lisa Mancini, newly-elected HAA Vice-President, April Padilla, HAA Secretary, and Maria Benedetto, HAA Treasurer. These four HAA officers are here to help organize events and the volunteering of events. If you are interested in being more involved, please email the HAA at HAA@queenoftherosarybrooklyn.org.
As always, I hope that you and your family continue to enjoy the community that we continue building. I look forward to ensuring that our Academy continues to flourish towards a very successful future.
James A. Daino