Contact the office at (718) 388-7992 for information about tickets!
Issue #3: Principal’s Weekly Notes and Updates for the Week of September 24-28
+ Our new Student Council began their hard work. Good luck to our student representatives from Grades 5-8.
+ On Monday (September 17) and Friday (September 21), our Scholar’s Program continued to meet. Students in Grades 6 and 7 can apply to be in the program in December after the Trimester I report cards.
+ Chess Wizards began Friday, September 14. Students had a great time learning about Chess. We have an enrollment of 10 now. They are still taking registrations.
+ Band begins this week on Wednesday, September 26. Band is still taking registrations.
+ Students are working on their writing units. Students in all grades: Nursery, PreK for All, and Kindergarten-Grade 8 will be working on specific writing projects that will be presented to their parents at the end of each trimester.
+ Our World’s Finest Chocolate Sale began on Monday, September 17 and runs until Friday, October 12. If you would like more chocolate, please let the office know as soon as possible.
+Reminder: Fundraisers you can do for QRCA include: Box Tops for Education; ShopARoo; smile.amazon.com; Stop and Shop Rewards; and sell extra boxes of chocolate and Chancebook tickets.
+Please help me welcome Kourtney Destefano who will be our substitute teacher in second
+ This week:
-There is a tour on Touring Tuesday
-Tuesday, September 25, we have our annual High School Fair. Please come.It begins at
+ Next week:
-There is tour on Touring Tuesday.
-Individual and Graduation Photos will be taken on Monday, October 1.
-Group Photos will be taken on Tuesday, October 2.
-There is a Half-Day for the entire school on Friday, October 5. Dismissal will be at
11:45AM for PreK3-Nursery and PreK for All while K-8 will dismiss directly from the Church after Mass.
-TerraNova Testing for Grades 3-8 October 9-October 19
-Home Academy Association (HAA) meeting on Thursday, October 11 at 6PM. Please
email HAA@queenoftherosarybrooklyn.orgin order to speak about how to be involved in school events. You will be able to reach the HAA President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer, Javier Cortes, Lisa Mancini, April Padilla, and Maria Benedetto, respectively.
+ Visit Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy for updates and pictures of classes and some students.
James A. Daino
This week we will continue celebrating Advent and preparing our hearts for Christmas. We will continue to explore the Christmas story, and will focus on the journey to Bethlehem, and the Nativity. We will look at art work from around the world depicting the Nativity, including Renaissance paintings, Baroque creches, and icons, paintings, and figurines from all the continents of the world. We will also listen to Christmas carols from Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, and the Middle East. We will take time each day for a brief Christmas meditation during our prayer time. We will read The Christmas Story, The First Night, The Star, Christmas in the Manger, and The Donkey’s Christmas Song this week.
In our social studies center, this week, we will research Christmas traditions from cultures around the world. In our literacy center we will learn the letter Kk, and we will read A Kiss for Little Bear, and King Midas. In math we will continue working on Christmas patterns, and we will work on a number of Christmas math activities on the Smartboard, such as counting presents for Teddy Bear, and identifying the number of buttons on the gingerbread man. In our science center we will learn about conifers. We are also preparing for our performance in the Christmas show!
- Parent –Teacher Conferences and the distribution of Report Cards will be held this Thursday, December 7th. Please be reminded that dismissal is at 11:45. There is no Afterschool on this day. I look forward to meeting with you!
- We will be studying conifers this week. If you have a live Christmas tree, fresh evergreen wreath, or if you pass by a conifer on the way to school, please consider sending in a small snippet so we can study it in our science center. Thank you!
- We will be performing “Mele Kalikimaka” at the school Christmas show. You will receive a separate letter regarding our performance.
- Please be reminded that there is NO SCHOOL on Friday, December 8th in honor of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
Have a great week!
Please go to the following website if you are interested in attending the benefit dinner:
March 7, 2017
The second trimester is coming to a close and report cards will be distributed, which means that two-thirds of the year is over. With two-thirds of the school year over, it means that we are approximately 67% stronger as a community than we were since September. Each day our community grows and prospers, and our collaborative nature is vibrant. In order to further enhance our community and thank the families that continually support our programs and fundraising efforts, attached is a gift from Capri Jet Realty Corp. and our Home Academy Association President Javier Cortes. Personally, I want to thank them for this wonderful gift, which showcases our community oriented spirit.
There are many events that are upcoming this month and in the next couple of months.
- The Parent’s Night Out event has been posted and distributed to you. Visit Facebook and our webpage to view the details.
- Registration for the 2017-2018 school year is underway. Please submit your re-registration and registration forms as soon as possible. The $100.00 discount will be applied on payments made prior to or on March 15, 2017. After March 15, 2017, there will be a $50.00 discount that will be applied on payments made prior to or on May 1, 2017. In addition, please be advised that you should visit futuresineducation.org as soon as possible to complete a scholarship application. Awards will be distributed on a first-come first-serve basis, so I encourage you to complete the application as soon as possible.
- The Pre-K for All Round 1 application process is over. Thank you to those parents who both recommended friends and family to our program and completed the application. You should receive notification from the Department of Education by late April if you have received an offer to be in the program. If you receive any information that causes you any concerns, please contact me as soon as possible.
- New York State Testing: Grades 4, 6, and 8 will be taking the New York State English Language Arts Test on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 through Thursday, March 30, 2017. Although the school has materials, please ensure that your children have #2 pencils for the Scantron and written responses. If you have any questions about the testing procedures, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
- Calendar Addition/Correction: Monday, March 27 will be a Half-Day, and After-School will not be in session due to the report card distribution. One week before report cards are distributed, some students may receive a letter requesting a meeting with you on Monday, March 27, 2017 during Parent-Teacher Conferences. If a request is distributed to the students, then the report card will not be distributed to the child on the day of report card distribution. Instead, a reminder letter about the conference request will be distributed to the child in the envelope. The parent will receive the report card during their conference. On the other hand, all parents are welcome to make appointments as was done during the first report card distribution. Information will be distributed by the end of the week, so we can begin making appointments.
- Calendar Addition/Correction: Chancebooks for our annual Chancebook Drive will be distributed on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 and are due back by Monday, April 10, 2017. The drawing will be done on Friday, May 5, 2017.
- Awards Assembly: The assembly will be held on Friday, April 7, 2017 from 10:00-11:00AM. There will NOT be a Half-Day on Friday, April 7, 2017.
- Math Workshop: After collecting and analyzing the data from your submissions and interests in attending a workshop, I was able to determine dates and times that, on average, appear to be the best for the majority of parents in grades 3-8. Please call and RSVP by Thursday, March 16, 2017. You may come to both the full workshop and condensed workshop.
- Full Math Workshop for Grade 3-5 – Parents and Students – Wednesday, March 29, 2017 from 5:00-7:00PM
- Full Math Workshop for Grades 6-8 – Parents and Students – Thursday, March 30, 2017 from 5:00-7:00PM
- Condensed Math Workshop for Grades 3-8 – Parents Only – Wednesday, April 5 from 7:00-9:00AM
- The Annual Walk-A-Thon is set for Thursday, May 18, 2017 with a rain date of Friday, May 19, 2017.
- Ice Cream Sales: Good Humor will be added to our cooler with the current ice cream being sold. Good Humor Ice Cream will be sold for $2.00. The current ice cream will still be sold for $1.25.
- February Box Top winning class is Kindergarten! Congratulations!
Mathletics has really been motivating students by increasing their enthusiasm for this academic area. Our students have received 401 Bronze Certificates, 52 Silver Certificates, and 1 Gold Certificate since the beginning of the year. Keep up the great work! In addition to the Mathletics’ accolades, a Mathletics Diocesan-Wide competition will begin the first week in April. Details will follow.
Personally, I want to congratulate those students who were on the Red Team during the Penny Challenge. Your team’s Pizza Party will be on Friday, March 31, 2017. In addition, although the other two teams did not win the Penny Challenge, I want to thank you for your generosity. Because of this generosity, we are able to purchase Choral Risers for our students so that we can enhance our Christmas and Spring Concerts.
Visit Facebook and LIKE our page. The location of our page is: Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy. Our page contains many great pictures and news about what is happening in the school. Please SHARE our Facebook with your friends, so that they know all about our wonderful Academy.
As always, know that your opinions are vital to the school community. Therefore, I hope that you know that even if you cannot attend the Home Academy Meetings that you are very much involved. This is why each month there will be a Coffee and Conversation session, so that parents who cannot come to the HAA meetings can talk about their ideas for enhancing programs for this academy. Everything that we try to accomplish is done by ensuring that everyone is heard.
James A. Daino
For Giving Tuesday, please visit our YouTube Channel and check out our videos. The children at Queen of the Rosary wanted to share what they were thankful and grateful for during this season of thanks.
November 14, 2016
Thank you to those parents who sent in baby wipes!
This week, we will begin Unit 3: All About Us. We will talk how we and our families are unique. I will send home a piece of white paper so you can glue some of the pictures that you would like your child to share with the class about their unique family. It could be pictures of the people in your family, where relatives live, things the family likes to do together, celebrations, vacations, etc.). We will put them together to make “A Family Quilt” and hang them up in our classroom. Please send this by Thursday, November 17th. Thank you!
In Math, we will start with a simple addition. In our literacy center, we will identify the letter Hh. Also, this week, we will begin to talk about Thanksgiving. We will learn about the Pilgrims and Native Americans and read stories about Thanksgiving. We will listen to Native American music.
- Please remember to sign your child in and out of school every day.
- Ice cream is sold on Friday for $1.25.
- For Show and Tell on Friday, please bring one item that begins with the letter H.
- Our Thanksgiving feast will be on Tuesday, November 22nd in our classroom. If you would like to donate cookies, chips, fruit, or juice for our feast, please let me know by Monday (11/21). Thank you!
- Next week, we will make our classroom “cookbook.” Please write down your child’s favorite food recipe and your child can decorate that page. Send it to school by Monday (11/21). Thank you for your cooperation!
Have a nice week!