Posted on April 14, 2019
Welcome to Nursery!
Our Nursery classroom is a place where each child explores, creates, and experiences the world through a rich, varied program in a warm and nurturing environment. These years are a time of tremendous growth in your child’s life, and our program is designed to promote the holistic development of your child. Each day your child will participate in literacy, math, science, social studies, music and movement, and expressive arts activities in the various classroom learning centers.
Each child will also have daily opportunities for work on the classroom SmartBoard and personal computers. There are daily opportunities for independent exploration and learning, as well as whole group physical activities and free play with friends. Your child will form friendships, and grow in self-confidence and self-sufficiency in an atmosphere of respect for the uniqueness of each individual and the dignity of each person. Our program is designed to nourish your little one spiritually and intellectually through activities that promote cooperation and respect, and through project work that allows for the meaningful application of developing skills. Most importantly, your child will be encouraged to develop a loving relationship with God and a compassion for others.
Please join us for Circle Time and visit our beautiful classroom. We look forward to being partners in your child’s education!
This week we are observing Holy Week. We will dramatize the story of the Passion and Resurrection of Christ, and we will work on related Easter activities in our learning centers. We will also learn about Divine Mercy, celebrated the Sunday after Easter. On Tuesday we will have an Easter party!
- We will be making Easter baskets! Please send in a clean half gallon milk/juice carton if you have not done so already. Thank you!
- On Monday we will partner with the Pre-K for two fun activities. First, we will have an early childhood bowling tournament in the first floor hallway. We will also have an Easter egg hunt through the school! Please ask your child about these activities!
- On Tuesday we will dye Easter eggs, complete our Easter baskets, and have an Easter party! If you would like to donate treats for the party, or for the baskets, please let me know! Please remember that all treats must be soy and nut free. Thank you!!!
- Wednesday is a half day. We will dismiss for Easter vacation at 11:45. There is no Afterschool on this day.
Ms. Nilsa and I would like to wish you and your families a blessed Easter! Enjoy the vacation!
With warm wishes,
Posted on April 7, 2019
This week we will be reading and dramatizing the story of the Passion and Resurrection of Jesus, in preparation for Holy Week. We will also be working on related Easter art activities in our art center. In our literacy center we will be learning the letter Yy. We will continue a unit on poetry that we began last week, and we will read poems from Robert Louis Stevenson’s A Child’s Garden of Verses. We will continue to work on letter recognition and phonics activities, writing our names, and word building activities in our literacy center. In our math center we will work on number recognition activities, addition and subtraction activities, and we will be learning about symmetry. In science we are learning about the season of spring. We will also begin working with weights and measures. In social studies we will continue to work on our Communities Around the World Project with a study of First Nation art, music, dance, and stories. We will also continue to learn about New York City landmarks, and continue working with maps.
- I want to thank Officer Montesdeoca, and Mrs. Montesdeoca, for visiting our class last Thursday! Mr. Montesdeoca gave a presentation about the job of a police officer, and the children were presented with their own badges! The children enjoyed the visit! Thank you so much!
- Tuesday, April 9th, is picture day!
- We will be making Easter baskets next week! Each child will need one clean half gallon carton (milk or juice) to make his/her basket. Please send in your child’s carton this week so we have time to prepare all the baskets. I thank you in advance!
- Thank you so much for sending in natural items for our spring science center! Please continue to send in items! The children love exploring the table!
- Next week is Holy Week! On Tuesday, April 16th, we will have an Easter party! Please consider sending in fruit, chips, pretzels, cupcakes, cookies, or other snacks for our celebration, or treats for the Easter baskets. Please be reminded that all items must be store-bought, and NUT and SOY FREE! Thank you!
Have a great week!
Posted on March 31, 2019
This week we will continue working on our project entitled, Communities Around the World. We will share information about our own neighborhoods, learn about New York City landmarks, and begin to study homes and families around the world. In our literacy center we will learn the letter Xx. We will read Flossie and the Fox, Fox in Socks, The Tale of Peter Rabbit, and The Tale of Benjamin Bunny. We will also work on letter recognition, phonics, word building, rhymes, and writing our names. In our math center we will work on addition and subtraction using manipulatives. In our science center we will learn about spring flowers, and the life cycles of birds and plants. In religion we will read and dramatize stories from the Gospel, including the story of Easter.
- During the coming days of spring, please have your child bring in flowers, tree blossoms, budding leaves, and other natural items for our science center. Thank you!
- I appreciate the boxes of tissues that were sent in last week. Thank you!
Have a great week!
Posted on March 24, 2019
It was wonderful meeting with you last week at Parent-Teacher Conferences! I know you must all be so proud of your children!
Last week our Nursery class began working on a long term project, Communities Around the World. We will continue our project work this week with a sub-unit about our neighborhood community. We will also learn about police officers in our Community Helpers sub-unit. In our literacy center we will be learning the letter Ww. We will read Henry’s Wrong Turn (A Whale in NYC), and Where the Wild Things Are. We will also re-read Little Red Riding Hood and Jack and the Beanstalk, and create story grammar boards. We will continue working on letter recognition and phonics activities, word building, name recognition and writing, syllables, and rhyme activities. In our math center we are working with addition and subtraction using manipulatives, tangrams, and block building activities. In science we will be learning about the season of spring. In religion, we will begin to learn about the story of Jesus’ Passion and Resurrection.
- We are creating a springtime exploration table in our science center. Please have your child bring in tree buds, blossoms, flowers, seeds, leaves, and other natural items found in the season of spring during the coming weeks. Thank you!
- Please consider sending in a box of tissues for our class. We have just finished the last box! Thank you!
- Please be reminded: For your child’s safety, please have your child wear sneakers with Velcro, as per the Nursery handbook. I truly appreciate your cooperation!
Have a great week!
V is for volcano:
Read all posts in Nursery ›