Posted on December 16, 2018
Welcome to Nursery!
Our Nursery classroom is a place where each child explores, creates, and experiences the world through a rich, varied program in a warm and nurturing environment. These years are a time of tremendous growth in your child’s life, and our program is designed to promote the holistic development of your child. Each day your child will participate in literacy, math, science, social studies, music and movement, and expressive arts activities in the various classroom learning centers.
Each child will also have daily opportunities for work on the classroom SmartBoard and personal computers. There are daily opportunities for independent exploration and learning, as well as whole group physical activities and free play with friends. Your child will form friendships, and grow in self-confidence and self-sufficiency in an atmosphere of respect for the uniqueness of each individual and the dignity of each person. Our program is designed to nourish your little one spiritually and intellectually through activities that promote cooperation and respect, and through project work that allows for the meaningful application of developing skills. Most importantly, your child will be encouraged to develop a loving relationship with God and a compassion for others.
Please join us for Circle Time and visit our beautiful classroom. We look forward to being partners in your child’s education!
This is the last week of school before Christmas. During this week of Advent we will continue preparing for Christmas with prayer, books, and related projects. We will continue to study Christmas celebrations around the world; we will listen to Christmas music, look at Christmas paintings and sculptures, and learn about traditions from many different countries throughout Europe, the Americas, Africa, and Asia. We will celebrate Christmas in our classroom with a dramatization of the Nativity, a Christmas meditation, and a class party. All of our learning centers will have Christmas related activities. Please ask your child about all our Christmas preparations and celebrations!
Wednesday, December 19th:
- At 9 AM you are invited to come to our classroom for a creative writing presentation by our students. The presentation should last about a half hour. I hope to see you then!
- Our class will have a Christmas party after lunch on Wednesday, December 19th. If you would like to donate cupcakes, chips, cookies, or fruit for our party, please let me know! Thank you!
Thursday, December 20th:
- On Thursday evening, December 20th our class will be performing in the school Christmas Show! Please have your child arrive at the auditorium by 5:30 to get into costume. Please remember to remove and return the costume to the designated box before taking your child. Please be sure that to have me dismiss your child to you so I can account for all of the children. Thank you! We are so excited!
- Please be reminded that we will dismiss at 11:45 A.M. There is NO Afterschool on this day.
Friday, December 21st:
- On Friday, December 21nd we will dismiss at 11:45 A.M. for the Christmas recess. There is NO Afterschool on this day. We will resume school on Wednesday, January 2, 2019.
I want to wish all of you a blessed Christmas and a happy, healthy new year! Ms. Nilsa and I have been so blessed to celebrate this Christmas season with your beautiful children!
Posted on December 9, 2018
It was a pleasure speaking with all of you at Parent- Teacher Conferences last week! You should all be proud of your children… I am too!
This week we will continue celebrating Advent and preparing our hearts for Christmas. We will continue to explore the Christmas story through prayer, song, and dramatization. We will look at art work depicting the Nativity, and explore Christmas traditions around the world. We will also watch excerpts from The Nutcracker ballet. On Wednesday, December 12th we will read the story of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and have a small celebration in class. In our literacy center we will learn the letter Ll, and we will read Aesop’s fable The Lion and the Mouse, and the poem, Ladybug Ladybug. In our math center we will continue to work on counting activities 1-5, and we will create Christmas patterns. In our science center we will continue to study conifers, and compare them with deciduous trees. We will practice each day for the Christmas Show!
- We will have breakfast with Santa on Tuesday, December 12th!
- Our Nursery class will be performing in the Christmas Show on Thursday, December 20th. Please refer to my letter regarding the show.
Have a great week!
Christmas Show 2018
I am happy to announce that our Nursery class will be performing in the school Christmas Show on Thursday, December 20th at 6 PM! Our class will sing “Baby Jesus Lullaby”. The children are so excited!
We have been practicing our song each day, and the children know the words and gestures. You may have your child practice singing along with the recording at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8fDFzC_hE . At the show, our class will sing the song accompanied by Mr. Howe, our music teacher, on guitar.
Your child will dress up as an angel. Please have your child wear a white shirt (dark pants are fine) or a white dress. You may make a simple halo with silver or gold pipe cleaners attached to a headband. (Wings are completely optional.) I may have white tunics and halos to provide to each child, and I will notify you in the coming days. If you have any questions, please feel free to speak with me.
On the night of the show, our Nursery class will perform first. Please be sure to arrive at the auditorium early (5:30-5:45) to dress into costumes and line up for the performance. You may drop off your child with me in the auditorium, then proceed to find a seat. The children may sit with me until the intermission, after the second grade performance. If you need to pick your child up immediately following our class performance, please make sure you come to me directly to dismiss your child. Please be sure to purchase tickets for the show in advance. The performers do NOT need a ticket.
I look forward to seeing you all there!
Posted on December 2, 2018
This week we will continue celebrating Advent and preparing our hearts for Christmas. We will continue to explore the Christmas story, and will focus on the journey to Bethlehem, and the Nativity. We will look at art work from around the world depicting the Nativity, including Renaissance paintings, Baroque creches, and icons, paintings, and figurines from all the continents of the world. We will also listen to Christmas carols from Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, and the Middle East. We will take time each day for a brief Christmas meditation during our prayer time. We will read The Christmas Story, The First Night, The Star, Christmas in the Manger, and The Donkey’s Christmas Song this week. On Thursday we will celebrate the feast of St. Nicholas. On Friday we will celebrate the feast of The Immaculate Conception (December 8th).
In our social studies center, this week, we will research Christmas traditions from cultures around the world. In our literacy center we will learn the letter Kk, and we will read A Kiss for Little Bear, and King Midas. We will also learn about Koko, the gorilla. In math we will continue working on Christmas patterns, and we will work on a number of Christmas math activities on the Smartboard, such as counting presents for Teddy Bear, and identifying the number of buttons on the gingerbread man. In our science center we will learn about conifers. We are also preparing for our performance in the Christmas show!
- I would like to thank Ms. Blostein for teaching our children about recycling, last Thursday! The children had so much fun making snowman maracas using recycled materials!!
- Parent –Teacher Conferences and the distribution of Report Cards will be held this Thursday, December 6th. Please be reminded that dismissal is at 11:45. There is no Afterschool on this day. I look forward to meeting with you!
- We will be studying conifers this week. If you have a live Christmas tree, fresh evergreen wreath, or if you pass by a conifer on the way to school, please consider sending in a small snippet so we can study it in our science center. Thank you!
- We will be performing in our school Christmas show! You will receive a separate letter regarding our performance.
Have a great week!
Posted on November 25, 2018
Thank you so much for making our Thanksgiving celebration so special last week! We had a lovely time! It was wonderful to have so many of you at our party!
This week we will complete our Autumn Harvest project, and introduce a new project: Christmas Around the World. This will be a four week project in which we will explore multicultural Christmas celebrations around the world, and we will incorporate some of the traditions from various countries in our own class practices. We will also prepare our hearts for Christmas during the Advent season, (which begins next Sunday), through prayer, guided meditations, and a study of the Nativity story as depicted in books, videos, art, and song. The project will culminate with our own class dramatization of the first Christmas, and a Christmas party. All of the activities in our learning centers will be centered around this Christmas theme. Please ask your child about our project as it unfolds!
This week we will begin to explore the Christmas story. We will read about the first Christmas, focusing on the story of the Annunciation. We will study paintings of the Annunciation by Fra Angelico, Giotto, Botticelli, Leonardo da Vinci, Goya, and Rossetti, as well as depictions from India, Korea, and Ghana. We will create a class prayer welcoming baby Jesus. In social studies we will research the town of Bethlehem. We will also learn about shepherds, and the shearing, carding, and weaving of wool. We will read Charlie Needs a New Cloak. In our literacy center we will learn the letter Jj. We will read and dramatize the story, Jack and the Beanstalk, and we will recite the poem, Jack and Jill. We will also read the Christmas story, The Legend of the Poinsettia. In our math center we will be creating Christmas patterns, making a 1-5 number book, and playing counting games on the Smartboard. In our science center we will begin to introduce the coming season of winter.
- On Friday we will have Show and Tell. Please have your child bring in an item that begins with the letter J.
- On Tuesday, November 27th, there will be a Kindergarten Open House from 9-11 A.M. You are welcome to attend!
- Our class has been practicing a song with our music teacher, Mr. Howe, to perform in the Christmas Show! I be sending home a letter next week with details regarding the show.
Have a great week!
Read all posts in Nursery ›