December 1, 2016
I hope everyone has enjoyed their Thanksgiving holiday with their families. Thanksgiving always reminds me of togetherness and the importance of community. We feel safer when we are surrounded by positive influences and a strong family. This is the same type of community that we have been providing at the school. Each day as our partnership grows our family community continues to strengthen. This is critical and what we hope to foster each day as the children walk through these doors.
This month we have much to look forward to. Some of the things that we have to look forward to are our:
- Touring Tuesdays: If you know anyone who is interested, please have them make an appointment in order to see the Academy. Registration will begin in January of 2017 for our Nursery, Kindergarten through Grade Eight, and PreK for All programs.
- Christmas Show: Grades Nursery-Grade Four, After-School Band, Choir, and select Grades Five-Eight will perform in the Christmas Show on Friday, December 16, 2016. Information about the show will follow.
- Snack Sale, sponsored by our Eighth Grade, will occur on December 7, 2016 in order to support some of the events that they will have during their last year at Queen of the Rosary.
- Breakfast with Santa on Tuesday, December 15, 2016.
- Report cards will be distributed on December 7, 2016. Please call in order to make an appointment with your child’s teacher.
- Home Academy Association’s meeting, which will be Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 6:00p.m. All are invited to attend. If you cannot attend, please know that your input is vitally important, so all ideas are welcome.
- Clubs for the Second Trimester. The first trimester clubs were huge success with the students. Starting after the New Year, the next round of clubs will begin. Look out for information.
Students in grades three through eight have been utilizing Mathletics. Last month, we had a total of 68 Bronze Certificates and 1 Silver Certificate for the year. Now, we have 109 Bronze Certificates and 8 Silver Certificates. Our students are out-performing many schools in the Diocese of Brooklyn. These achievements will help prepare the school for the Mathletics Math Bowl competition that will take place in March of 2017. Details of the event will follow.
Our coding program for grades kindergarten through eight will begin soon. Once the materials have arrived, students will begin learning basic computer programming skills. Usernames and passwords for the program have been created for each student, so that when the materials arrive, we will be ready to begin.
As you may remember, we received a grant from the Hyde and Watson Foundation. Through their generous grant, we were able to purchase 52 Chromebooks and two Luxor charging stations. Recently, we received a grant from the Jewish Communal Fund, which will allow us to purchase an additional 54 Chromebooks and two more Luxor charging stations. This will allow us the opportunity to supply an individual Chromebook to all students from grades three through eight. In addition, our students, beginning with grade eight, have begun using Google Classroom in order to submit assignments through Google Docs.
All of the great events that are organized for the school are posted on Facebook. At your earliest convenience, visit Facebook and LIKE our page. The location of our page is: Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy. Our page contains many great pictures and news about what is happening in the school. Please SHARE our Facebook with your friends, so that they know all about our wonderful Academy.
Round 1 registration for our PreK for All program will begin on January 17, 2017. Round 1 will run from January 17, 2017 through February 24, 2017. Nursery parents will be receiving a schedule that will contain a series of meetings in order to discuss the process to apply for our program. Those dates and times are being determined, and you will receive notification shortly. In addition, these dates and times will be available on our website and Facebook, so please forward that information to any other prospective registrant.
I hope you are sharing in the excitement of all that we have at Queen of the Rosary and all that we offer to your children. I am very proud of the hard work and dedication of our Home Academy Association who work relentlessly to enhance our students’ experiences.
James A. Daino