March 7, 2017
The second trimester is coming to a close and report cards will be distributed, which means that two-thirds of the year is over. With two-thirds of the school year over, it means that we are approximately 67% stronger as a community than we were since September. Each day our community grows and prospers, and our collaborative nature is vibrant. In order to further enhance our community and thank the families that continually support our programs and fundraising efforts, attached is a gift from Capri Jet Realty Corp. and our Home Academy Association President Javier Cortes. Personally, I want to thank them for this wonderful gift, which showcases our community oriented spirit.
There are many events that are upcoming this month and in the next couple of months.
- The Parent’s Night Out event has been posted and distributed to you. Visit Facebook and our webpage to view the details.
- Registration for the 2017-2018 school year is underway. Please submit your re-registration and registration forms as soon as possible. The $100.00 discount will be applied on payments made prior to or on March 15, 2017. After March 15, 2017, there will be a $50.00 discount that will be applied on payments made prior to or on May 1, 2017. In addition, please be advised that you should visit futuresineducation.org as soon as possible to complete a scholarship application. Awards will be distributed on a first-come first-serve basis, so I encourage you to complete the application as soon as possible.
- The Pre-K for All Round 1 application process is over. Thank you to those parents who both recommended friends and family to our program and completed the application. You should receive notification from the Department of Education by late April if you have received an offer to be in the program. If you receive any information that causes you any concerns, please contact me as soon as possible.
- New York State Testing: Grades 4, 6, and 8 will be taking the New York State English Language Arts Test on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 through Thursday, March 30, 2017. Although the school has materials, please ensure that your children have #2 pencils for the Scantron and written responses. If you have any questions about the testing procedures, please contact me at your earliest convenience.
- Calendar Addition/Correction: Monday, March 27 will be a Half-Day, and After-School will not be in session due to the report card distribution. One week before report cards are distributed, some students may receive a letter requesting a meeting with you on Monday, March 27, 2017 during Parent-Teacher Conferences. If a request is distributed to the students, then the report card will not be distributed to the child on the day of report card distribution. Instead, a reminder letter about the conference request will be distributed to the child in the envelope. The parent will receive the report card during their conference. On the other hand, all parents are welcome to make appointments as was done during the first report card distribution. Information will be distributed by the end of the week, so we can begin making appointments.
- Calendar Addition/Correction: Chancebooks for our annual Chancebook Drive will be distributed on Wednesday, March 15, 2017 and are due back by Monday, April 10, 2017. The drawing will be done on Friday, May 5, 2017.
- Awards Assembly: The assembly will be held on Friday, April 7, 2017 from 10:00-11:00AM. There will NOT be a Half-Day on Friday, April 7, 2017.
- Math Workshop: After collecting and analyzing the data from your submissions and interests in attending a workshop, I was able to determine dates and times that, on average, appear to be the best for the majority of parents in grades 3-8. Please call and RSVP by Thursday, March 16, 2017. You may come to both the full workshop and condensed workshop.
- Full Math Workshop for Grade 3-5 – Parents and Students – Wednesday, March 29, 2017 from 5:00-7:00PM
- Full Math Workshop for Grades 6-8 – Parents and Students – Thursday, March 30, 2017 from 5:00-7:00PM
- Condensed Math Workshop for Grades 3-8 – Parents Only – Wednesday, April 5 from 7:00-9:00AM
- The Annual Walk-A-Thon is set for Thursday, May 18, 2017 with a rain date of Friday, May 19, 2017.
- Ice Cream Sales: Good Humor will be added to our cooler with the current ice cream being sold. Good Humor Ice Cream will be sold for $2.00. The current ice cream will still be sold for $1.25.
- February Box Top winning class is Kindergarten! Congratulations!
Mathletics has really been motivating students by increasing their enthusiasm for this academic area. Our students have received 401 Bronze Certificates, 52 Silver Certificates, and 1 Gold Certificate since the beginning of the year. Keep up the great work! In addition to the Mathletics’ accolades, a Mathletics Diocesan-Wide competition will begin the first week in April. Details will follow.
Personally, I want to congratulate those students who were on the Red Team during the Penny Challenge. Your team’s Pizza Party will be on Friday, March 31, 2017. In addition, although the other two teams did not win the Penny Challenge, I want to thank you for your generosity. Because of this generosity, we are able to purchase Choral Risers for our students so that we can enhance our Christmas and Spring Concerts.
Visit Facebook and LIKE our page. The location of our page is: Facebook.com/QueenOfTheRosaryCatholicAcademy. Our page contains many great pictures and news about what is happening in the school. Please SHARE our Facebook with your friends, so that they know all about our wonderful Academy.
As always, know that your opinions are vital to the school community. Therefore, I hope that you know that even if you cannot attend the Home Academy Meetings that you are very much involved. This is why each month there will be a Coffee and Conversation session, so that parents who cannot come to the HAA meetings can talk about their ideas for enhancing programs for this academy. Everything that we try to accomplish is done by ensuring that everyone is heard.
James A. Daino