Thank you so much for making Teacher Appreciation Day so special! I was touched by your thoughtfulness and warm wishes!
Our caterpillars arrived last week for our classroom Butterfly Garden! Please ask your child about this exciting project! You are most welcome to stop by to see this project!
This week we will continue our social studies project about Communities Around the World with a look at communities in Africa and the Middle East. In literacy we will read Anansi the Spider and Handa’s Surprise. We will be working on letter recognition and phonics, decoding CVC words, and rhyming words. In our math center we are working on addition and subtraction activities, and number recognition. In science we are caring for the zinnia seeds we planted last week. In religion we will celebrate the feast of Our Lady of Fatima (May 13th), and we will continue to work on our individual prayer/Gospel stories booklets.
- Thank you for sending in such lovely flowers for our May Crowning last week! Our statue of Mary looks beautiful!
- Our school Walk-a-thon is on Tuesday! Please be sure to refer to the Nursery letter that was sent home last week regarding this special day. I look forward to spending time with you!
- Last week a letter went home regarding our performance in the school’s annual Spring Show. You will be notified when tickets for the show are on sale.
Have a great week!
Painting abstract flowers like Georgia O’Keefe:
We are looking forward to the WALK-A-THON and afternoon at Cooper Park on Tuesday, May 14th! Here are a few reminders as we prepare for the day:
- Please have your child wear sneakers with Velcro straps, and the Walk-a-thon tee shirt on this day.
- Please apply sunscreen and bug spray before school begins.
- Your child will need a small backpack with a plastic water bottle, tissues, light snack (crackers), or any other item your child requires at the park. (Your child does not need a lunchbox or folder on this day. All recreational materials and sports gear will be provided.) Please remember that your child will be carrying his or her own bag, so please be sure it is light and manageable.
- Our day will begin at the usual time. Please be sure to bring your child on time in order to have breakfast and use the restroom before leaving. The walk-a-thon will begin around 9:00. You may meet us outside the entrance if you are joining us. The Nursery and Pre-K classes will walk a shorter route than the rest of the school. We will return to school to have a quick snack, use the restrooms, and rest following the Walk-a-thon. A barbeque lunch will be provided at school. If you prefer to provide a lunch from home, please provide a “brown bag” lunch (no lunchbox or thermos), and refrain from using containers that may add to the weight of your child’s bag.
- You are welcome to join us on our walk to Cooper Park at about 12:30, and to remain with our class for the day! Please be reminded that only Virtus trained parents may take a child other than their own to the restrooms, etc. If at any time you need to leave the class with your child, please be sure to talk to me first. Please come to me to sign out your child if you need to leave early for any reason. Your child’s safety is my priority.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
I’m looking forward to seeing you there!
Spring Show 2019
I am happy to announce that our Nursery class will be performing in the school Spring Show on Thursday, May 23rd at 6 PM! Our class will sing “Mr. Sun”. The children are so excited!
Mr. Howe, our music teacher has been practicing the song, based on Raffi’s version, each week in music class. We have also been practicing our song each day at circle time, and the children know the words and gestures. Mr. Howe will accompany the children with guitar. The children will sing the verses three times: first as heard in the following recording, then quietly, then loudly. You may have your child practice singing at home along with the recording at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=593B-bVPWjw .
For the performance your child should wear “spring clothes” and bright colors. Girls may wear spring dresses. It would be fun if the children could wear flowers as part of their “costume”, such as flower necklaces, flower hats, or flowers in their hair. Be creative! Enjoy making something dramatic with flowers! Have your child be part of the costume construction! The children should not carry props, as they will be using hand gestures during the song. If you have any questions, please feel free to speak with me.
On the night of the show, our Nursery class will perform first. Just as we did with the Christmas show, please be sure to arrive at the auditorium early (5:30 PM), drop off your child (already in “costume”) with me, then proceed to find a seat. The children may sit with me until the intermission, or you may quietly pick up your child after the performance. Please be sure to let me know that you are taking your child so I can account for everyone. You may have your child watch the remainder of the show at your seat. You will be receiving a separate letter regarding the purchase of tickets in the coming weeks. (The performers do NOT need a ticket.)
I look forward to seeing you all there!